Alois Trancy’s “maid” costume

So, you know that I am going to Anime Central as Ciel Phantomhive in his girl getup.  my little sis wanted to go as Alois Trancy in his girl getup.  I think it’s a cute idea, the both of us dressed up as boys dressing up as girls!

anyhow, I’m just about finished with her costume – just some hand-sewing finishing touches to put on.   this project took much longer than it should have.  I’ve been feeling crummy all week and I just did not have the motivation to get this done.  but I’ve got so much other stuff I need to start on, that I had no choice!

399456

here he is in his lovely maid outfit.  there are not a lot of (reliable) good pictures of what this costume actually looks like, but it’s pretty simple.  I made my version a little more period-accurate, as I did with the Ciel gown.

the bodice and skirt are made of cotton sateen – the only thing I bought for this costume besides the pattern.  I used Simplicity 1558 for the bodice pattern, mainly because I won’t have a chance to fit this costume on my sis before the event and I didn’t want to fuss with drafting a pattern.  instead of making the gown one-piece, I did a bodice and a skirt, which has a more period look.

DSCN0414 DSCN0417

I made a little petticoat so the skirt would have some volume.  yes, the petticoat is cockeyed – no, I don’t care much.  it doesn’t affect the look of the skirt so I’ll fix it if I have time, but otherwise, I’m not bothered.  it’s made from a thrifted sheet, and it’s actually really soft and luxurious, I think it’s Egyptian cotton.

(edit: while disassembling this outfit from my dress form, I discovered that I put the petticoat on sideways.  that’s why it’s cockeyed.  durh!)

DSCN0419

bodice and skirt together.  I used some vintage lace from my stash on the cuffs and the collar.  I haven’t put the hooks on yet; it’s pinned up the front on my dress form.

DSCN0420 DSCN0421

the whole shebang, front and back.  (ignore all my pins; tacking the trim on the bodice is one of the three things I still have to do on this costume.)  I took a little liberty with the apron for a more period look.  it’s also made from a thrifted sheet that’s quite soft and sleek.  I just love thrifty costumes!

 

and there it is!  a project that should have taken me less than a day somehow took me the better part of three, but it’s done now and I’m satisfied.  I have to make the little hat thingy, too, but that’s the last of the things that need to be finished.  the only thing I wish was different was I should have made the apron a little longer.  oh, in case anyone wonders, the total cost for this costume was less than $50, including the pattern that I bought not on sale.  of course, my Ciel costume cost a bit more than I projected, because I ran out of stuff, so it balances out.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s