I wanted to continue my sewing streak from last week and get started on my convention costumes right away yesterday. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find anywhere to begin underneath the piles of UFOs I’ve got laying around – so I devoted two days to finishing up some almost-done but for some reason not-done projects I had on the table.
Last time I posted about this gown, I mistakenly called it taffeta? I’m not sure why I did that, but it is in fact satin. And while normally I avoid satin like the plague (I have a dislike of shiny fabrics) I had picked this dark navy blue satin up because it was on super-clearance and honestly, the shine was not too bad. That is, it doesn’t scream “costume satin!!” to me.
Anyhow, at last check, the gown was finished and just in need of trimming. It also, I found upon examination now two months later, was in need of hemming and some minor alterations about the sleeves. I whipped all that out yesterday.
I bought a bunch of rolls of this blue organza ribbon at the same time as I bought my fabric – also on clearance; 50 cents a roll! Unfortunately, I only got two rolls of the 2″ wide ribbon and have yet to be able to find more, and I used it all up on the neckline and front of the bodice. I intended to have trim also on the sleeves and more on the bodice, but when I ran out of the 2″ and started using 1″, it just didn’t look right to me. So I scrapped that and left the gown a little under trimmed – for now.
The lace is just tacked into the sleeve for effect; I intend to make some sleeve flounces also, since I have a good amount of the blue satin left.
A hat! I spent this morning making the hat, which I meant to do (and think I posted about doing) ages ago. It’s a straw hat from Michael’s with the crown cut down to a more shallow size. It’s covered with blue satin and the brim is lined with black silk moire (which I picked up nearly a whole yard remnant of at Hobby Lobby a while back – I’m always surprised at what I stumble across at Hobby Lobby!) The crown is trimmed with a strip of ruched and pinked blue satin, and I added a bow of ivory silk dupioni because I love bows. I adored the big silk bow on the hat that went with my Ciel ball gown, so I went with it again! I also had just enough of the ivory silk left to make a nice, long sash to tie around my waist, to bring the outfit together.
I took some white ostrich feathers I had laying around and gave them a nice tea bath in my favorite Lady Gray to make them more ivory-colored, and they’re just drying now so that I can throw them on this hat. And then it will be done! Excepting the sleeve flounces, this project is finished!
I still have lots and lots to do, but it’s nice to get one UFO off my list, especially since my list keeps growing with more and more things I’m finding I need for the convention. I want to try and go out this weekend to take some pictures in this costume, but we’ll see if there’s time. Also, it’s hella cold out right now, so I might have to save the wearing of this gown for a warmer time of year.