I slept most of the day today, but I did get up in the afternoon and make some good progress on my green gown’s bodice.
The first thing I did was to add seams to the back of the bodice, deciding that it would have bothered me forever if I didn’t. I had a little bit of extra room in the bodice so I was able to just cut the back pieces and sew them back together with a teeny tiny seam.
I tacked the lining down around the top edge of the bodice. The reason for that and for the way I attached the straps is because the top of the bodice is all going to be covered with trim and lace, so I wasn’t concerned with how it looked. Of course, the bottom is also covered with trim and lace, so I guess I could have done it either way.
I used grommets in the back because I had enough of the brass ones on hand, and I thought the color would look nice with the green-gold hue of the fabric. What I forgot is that they’re cheap and a lot of the brass rubbed off just while I was inserting them, so that’s disappointing. However, I can cover them with thread later if it turns out it bothers me. With the ribbon in, you don’t see much of the grommets, really.
For the trim, I sewed tubes of the dress fabric and gathered them down the middle, and then pressed them flat.
I haven’t got any pictures of the sleeves in progress, but they’re just gathered sleeves with a band around the bottom. The sleeves are not lined, and are done with a french seam and sewn in by hand to the bodice with the bodice lining stitched down over the exposed seam. Then a strip of the gathered trim was added to the band.
All the trim is only pinned on now, because I’ve got to go to the store in the morning and pick up some beads or pearls to sew on with it. But my lace won’t arrive for at least a couple of weeks anyway, so I’ve done about as much with the bodice as I can for now. Tomorrow will be starting on the skirt!