So, you know that I am going to Anime Central as Ciel Phantomhive in his girl getup. my little sis wanted to go as Alois Trancy in his girl getup. I think it’s a cute idea, the both of us dressed up as boys dressing up as girls!
anyhow, I’m just about finished with her costume – just some hand-sewing finishing touches to put on. this project took much longer than it should have. I’ve been feeling crummy all week and I just did not have the motivation to get this done. but I’ve got so much other stuff I need to start on, that I had no choice!
here he is in his lovely maid outfit. there are not a lot of (reliable) good pictures of what this costume actually looks like, but it’s pretty simple. I made my version a little more period-accurate, as I did with the Ciel gown.
the bodice and skirt are made of cotton sateen – the only thing I bought for this costume besides the pattern. I used Simplicity 1558 for the bodice pattern, mainly because I won’t have a chance to fit this costume on my sis before the event and I didn’t want to fuss with drafting a pattern. instead of making the gown one-piece, I did a bodice and a skirt, which has a more period look.
I made a little petticoat so the skirt would have some volume. yes, the petticoat is cockeyed – no, I don’t care much. it doesn’t affect the look of the skirt so I’ll fix it if I have time, but otherwise, I’m not bothered. it’s made from a thrifted sheet, and it’s actually really soft and luxurious, I think it’s Egyptian cotton.
(edit: while disassembling this outfit from my dress form, I discovered that I put the petticoat on sideways. that’s why it’s cockeyed. durh!)
bodice and skirt together. I used some vintage lace from my stash on the cuffs and the collar. I haven’t put the hooks on yet; it’s pinned up the front on my dress form.
the whole shebang, front and back. (ignore all my pins; tacking the trim on the bodice is one of the three things I still have to do on this costume.) I took a little liberty with the apron for a more period look. it’s also made from a thrifted sheet that’s quite soft and sleek. I just love thrifty costumes!
and there it is! a project that should have taken me less than a day somehow took me the better part of three, but it’s done now and I’m satisfied. I have to make the little hat thingy, too, but that’s the last of the things that need to be finished. the only thing I wish was different was I should have made the apron a little longer. oh, in case anyone wonders, the total cost for this costume was less than $50, including the pattern that I bought not on sale. of course, my Ciel costume cost a bit more than I projected, because I ran out of stuff, so it balances out.