Anime-Zap! photos – part one

Well, the convention is over, and again I managed to take almost no pictures of any of our costumes.  Hmph.  I do have a few, however, so here’s the first batch.

Continue reading


bits and pieces

I got a lot done today.  A lot.  In fact, I got a lot done this whole week, and I definitely feel like I busted my ass to do so.  But things are starting to kind of come together now.

What I accomplished today:

patterned, constructed, and finished pants for my Lucia cosplay

added lace and chiffon to my Black Lady dress

hemmed three yards of chiffon for a shawl

patterned, constructed, and finished an entirely new blouse for my Black Lady cosplay


Some photos:


I had forgotten that I bought this lace for this costume a while ago, until I was digging through my lace stash yesterday while working on the Celestia cosplay.


I added a panel of black chiffon to the inside of the dress.  In the official artwork that describes Black Lady’s outfit, Naoko Takeuchi says that the piece inside the dress and the shawl are made of the same material – but the shawl is pink, and the dress is blue-black-ish.  Perhaps she just meant they are both chiffon.  Anyway, I took my own liberties, and made the costume to the image I had in my head.  I’ll go more into that later, when I post the full pictures of this costume.

IMG_0428 IMG_0416

I hemmed a buttload of chiffon.  I have a peculiar process for getting a perfect tiny rolled hem on chiffon (I really just love to use chiffon, so I’ve had a lot of practice with it) and that was what took the most time today.  It’s a step-by-step process that involves tearing, sealing, and hemming each edge one at a time.  Mostly it’s the sealing with Fray Away that takes up the most time.


This shawl is a gorgeous color, closer to the pink I used inside the dress than the other chiffon that I bought for a shawl. I picked some up a while ago that was a nice burgundy-red color, but I really didn’t get enough – I cut one yard in half and sewed it together to make a 2 x 1/2 yard piece, and it seemed so skimpy.  This time, I bought a full three yards and this shawl is lovely and big.

I also made a whole new blouse for the Black Lady costume, only because I happened across some organza at the fabric store that was much closer in color to the idea I originally had in my head – although the blouse, on the whole, is far from my favorite piece of this costume.  I was in the middle of attaching the gemstones on to the collar and cuffs when I ran out of hot glue, but this whole outfit is quite nearly done – hurray!


I’ll do proper posts for both this costume and my Lucia costume probably later this week, when I get around to taking pictures, but I don’t feel up to it tonight.  The Black Lady costume, at least, does not fit on my dress form – it’s kind of a squeeze on me, in fact, but I wanted it that way – so I have to work up the energy to put the whole thing on to take pictures.

Black Lady – part one

I did say I was going to make a post about a costume I’d worked on this week.  It’s just not the one I intended to work on!

I was feeling inspired by all my planning for Anime-Zap! and the presence of a bunch of JoAnn Fabrics coupons in my wallet, so I decided to start working on my Black Lady gown, which is definitely the easiest part of all the costumes I’ve chosen for the con.  the gown is simple in design and construction, but I did hit a roadblock when it came to fabrics.

ever since I read the Sailor Moon manga as a kid, Black Lady’s character design had always been one of my favorites, even though she was a short-lived character.  so when I started thinking about how I was going to make this costume, I found that the image I had in my head of what it was going to look like was the same image I had first developed as a kid, and I was really particular about it.  in the art book, there is a comment that says her gown is made of black satin and organdy.  the problem is that I loathe satin almost with a passion – I’m hugely picky about satin and I hardly ever use it (in fact I don’t like fabrics that shine or shimmer in general.)  I went with black peach skin for the gown, which has a really luxurious look and feel to it and drapes more nicely than satin.  I did use pink casa satin for the lining, partly because it was on sale for $3 a yard, and partly because I couldn’t find anything I liked better in a color I could tolerate (although the satin is in a glaringly bubblegum-ish hue, it doesn’t bother me too much because you hardly see it.

I chose pink organza in the same shade of pink as the lining for the bodice and sleeves of the dress.  I would have preferred something a little darker pink (and not shimmery) but it actually looks better than I expected in combination with the dark dress, and it complements the lining.


I was lazy and I didn’t take any pictures of construction, but there wasn’t much too it.  I drafted the patterns for both the dress and the bodice on my dress form.  the gown is fully lined in pink casa satin.  it also has a gore in the back of the skirt and a very slight train.  the sheer bodice is a separate piece which goes to the waist – kind of inspired by 18th and early 19th century chemisettes.  it is open in the back.

there’s a little more to do here – after scouring the internet for days, I found the exact perfect jewels to go on the collar and cuffs of the gown, so once those arrive they’ve got to be sewn on.  I also ordered some pretty black lace to fancy the gown up a bit, which will arrive in a month or so.  and there is a chiffon panel that goes on the inside of the skirt, but it needs to be hemmed on all four sides and that’s some work that I’ll save for another day.

as for the rest of this costume, I still need to make the jewelry and the shoes, and of course the wig, which will be an adventure.  so look forward to a few more posts before Black Lady is finished.