the “Kiki” Dress

My sister and I are going to be hitting up Anime Central for three days this year – and since time is short, I figured I could make one new costume for each of us and we could reuse some of the ones from the last convention (my Black Lady cosplay is something I definitely want to wear again.)  However, since none of my other projects are going right at the moment, I was feeling frustrated today and I wanted to do something else, something easy to get me out of my funk.  Well, there’s a super-easy cosplay that I’ve always wanted to do – Kiki, from Kiki’s Delivery Service, one of my favorite movies.  So, I thought about what I wanted my cosplay to look like, made a run to the fabric store, and started and finished this cosplay today.

Continue reading

dress for wedding.

the dress I ended up wearing to my brother’s wedding last month.  I whipped it up last minute as per usual, so it’s pretty simple.

 

 

I used the Gail dress pattern from Burdastyle.com, slightly modified.  I didn’t like how the high collar looked on me so I substituted a strap of braided fabric.  I also widened the skirt on the chiffon outer layer so that it has a nice swishy feel to it (I just love a swishy dress. :P)  I’m pleased with how it turned out overall.

the wedding went off fabulously, of course.

 

I’m now working on a set of Civil War era undergarments, which I will eventually get some pictures of.  I found a pretty decent Simplicity pattern for a 1863 shift, pantalettes, and stays.  the pattern is endorsed by the Museum Society, which works for me.  I’m halfway through building the corset, now I just have to wait for the rest of my supplies to arrive before I can finish it.  I hate being limited by the only fabric/sewing store around being the JoAnn fabrics on the other side of town.  the nearest specialty store, for corsets, boning and such, is two and a half hours away.  sigh.

convertible top

a top I whipped up today after finding this fabric on clearance at JoAnn and falling in love.  It’s so bold, such a fun colour!  it’s a nice stretchy jersey, so I felt I had to make a convertible top.  I had to fudge it a bit, since I only had 1.5 yards, but it turned out alright.  I cut four by 1.5 yard strips and sewed them together to make two by 3 yard, so there’s a seam halfway down each strip, but it doesn’t bother me much.

If I tie it the wrong way, you can see the seams, but oh well.  I just love the stripes, the colour.  the fabric is really light and airy, which I love for a summer top – I have two convertible dresses already, and they’re both fairly heavy.  my tying options are limited, anyway, because my chest is so big – I found that out the hard way the first time I made one of these.  so I made the overlap wider than usual and figured I can wrap it to hide the seams.

about time!

welp!  my new dress form arrived yesterday (love you, Amazon!  so quick!) and I thought it was about time I got my shit together and made something of this blog.  I’ve got a massive backlog of crap I’ve made that I’d like to get up here eventually, but I’ll start with just one.

I used Burdastyle.com’s peasant blouse pattern, although I modified it quite a bit to my liking.  I made the neckline a drawstring and cut the sleeves short, and I lengthened the torso, using the selvedge as a hem.  I used cotton voile, which I just love, for this shirt.  the torso pieces are doubled up, and the sleeves are a single layer.  this is the perfect summer shirt for me – light and breezy, can be dressed up with jeans or worn loose and free over a bikini.  it also, though not period correct, could be used as a chemise when I ever get around to working on my costumes again.  I feel like making a half dozen more so that I have a full set 😀