Well, the convention is over, and again I managed to take almost no pictures of any of our costumes. Hmph. I do have a few, however, so here’s the first batch.
The shoes I ordered from Ebay for my Black Lady costume arrived today, and were waiting at the door when I got home from work… so naturally I had to try them on. And then, of course, I had to put on the dress to see how they looked together. And the dress just didn’t look the same without the wig, and then… I ended up with the whole costume on, so I took some pictures.
I got a lot done today. A lot. In fact, I got a lot done this whole week, and I definitely feel like I busted my ass to do so. But things are starting to kind of come together now.
What I accomplished today:
patterned, constructed, and finished pants for my Lucia cosplay
added lace and chiffon to my Black Lady dress
hemmed three yards of chiffon for a shawl
patterned, constructed, and finished an entirely new blouse for my Black Lady cosplay
I had forgotten that I bought this lace for this costume a while ago, until I was digging through my lace stash yesterday while working on the Celestia cosplay.
I added a panel of black chiffon to the inside of the dress. In the official artwork that describes Black Lady’s outfit, Naoko Takeuchi says that the piece inside the dress and the shawl are made of the same material – but the shawl is pink, and the dress is blue-black-ish. Perhaps she just meant they are both chiffon. Anyway, I took my own liberties, and made the costume to the image I had in my head. I’ll go more into that later, when I post the full pictures of this costume.
I hemmed a buttload of chiffon. I have a peculiar process for getting a perfect tiny rolled hem on chiffon (I really just love to use chiffon, so I’ve had a lot of practice with it) and that was what took the most time today. It’s a step-by-step process that involves tearing, sealing, and hemming each edge one at a time. Mostly it’s the sealing with Fray Away that takes up the most time.
This shawl is a gorgeous color, closer to the pink I used inside the dress than the other chiffon that I bought for a shawl. I picked some up a while ago that was a nice burgundy-red color, but I really didn’t get enough – I cut one yard in half and sewed it together to make a 2 x 1/2 yard piece, and it seemed so skimpy. This time, I bought a full three yards and this shawl is lovely and big.
I also made a whole new blouse for the Black Lady costume, only because I happened across some organza at the fabric store that was much closer in color to the idea I originally had in my head – although the blouse, on the whole, is far from my favorite piece of this costume. I was in the middle of attaching the gemstones on to the collar and cuffs when I ran out of hot glue, but this whole outfit is quite nearly done – hurray!
I’ll do proper posts for both this costume and my Lucia costume probably later this week, when I get around to taking pictures, but I don’t feel up to it tonight. The Black Lady costume, at least, does not fit on my dress form – it’s kind of a squeeze on me, in fact, but I wanted it that way – so I have to work up the energy to put the whole thing on to take pictures.