So, an honest moment here. This blog is not the best showcase of my work. I do make some efforts at a more professional-looking blog, but it’s not high on my list of priorities. Anyway, all of what I post here is probably only about half of what I make, and it’s not necessarily the better half – my best items are the ones I make for other people, where I hold myself to extremely high standards – higher than costumes I make for my own enjoyment. So what you get here on my blog is a mix of the good and the bad – and naturally, there will be some total failures from time to time.
So… I had really big ambitions this past week. It began with a wig.
I ordered a cheap blue wig from Ebay a while ago, for my Dark Althena cosplay, but when I decided to change to the Lucia cosplay instead, I realized that the wig wasn’t going to work. Lucia’s hair is more teal, and the wig I had was definitely blue, and I find I’m extremely picky about certain things when it comes to cosplay. So, I ordered another one in a more teal-ish color – no harm done, very little money wasted.
But that blue wig just stared at me. I don’t know why, but I couldn’t stand the though of not using it – I did, after all, go to some trouble to style it and make it look presentable, including five days of soaking it in some fabric softener to get rid of the horrible cheap wig shine (as a result, my apartment still smells like a field of flowers some weeks later.) I was really determined to get some good out of it, for whatever reason. So I started thinking about costumes I could use it for and then I had this brilliant idea.
Duh – Luna.
I did some study of her costume, and broke it down into basically four parts – an underdress, a dress, a vest, and a shawl. I thought to myself, this will be an easy make – I can probably get the whole thing done in less than a week! Heck, I can probably get it done in a day! I had plans to call this post “one-day cosplay” and show off how much you can get accomplished in a short amount of time.
Well – that plan got shot pretty quickly. I severely underestimated this costume, and severely overestimated myself.
Of course, I wasn’t feeling my best this week to begin with, and I should know better than to try and sew too much when I’m already sick and tired – I always make mistakes. But I overwhelmed myself with this costume. I spent a good four days on it, and it’s still not done – it is nearly there; it’s 95% done according to my Cosplanner. But it irks me that I didn’t finish it the way I planned. Because, in theory, it should have been an easy make – it’s just four pieces, after all.
Well – on to the costume.
Unlike the Lucia costume, there are some pretty good reference pics of Luna’s outfit. What it looked like to me is that she has on a white underdress/shift type thing, followed by the yellow dress, then the blue and white overdress/vest/whatever, and the shawl tied around her hips. I went digging through my newly-orginized stash, and found that I had nearly everything I needed – the only things I bought for this costume were some blue and purple remnants, and the fuzzy stuff for the bottom of her dress.
I started with the shift, and made it your basic white shift – almost identical to my 18th century shift, except it has no gussets under the arms. It’s made from an old linen curtain I got at the thrift store (price tag read $2 for a pair) and I cut my pieces at the bottom so I didn’t even have to hem it. Although, I realized later that it’s a bit too long, so I’ll have to hem it after all…
The yellow dress is made of some heavy yellow linen I’ve had laying around for a while now. I was a little bit at a loss for how to build this – the image of Luna in her yellow dress shows it as being seamless with no visible opening or how to get it on. You can see that it has a black collar and presumably laces or buttons at the neck. I decided to open it up the front and make it lace up, cotehardie-style. The hem is trimmed with maribou; I though that real (faux) fur would be too heavy and the maribou has a nice fluffy look to it.
The belt and the shawl are both finished, and the vest just needs a collar and closures put on for that to be finished, too – so really, this costume came together pretty well. Just not as optimistically well as I wanted. I’ll cover the vest and the shawl in my next post about this costume.
Bonus – here’s a pic of me modeling my wig, looking not-so-hot at six in the morning:
I can’t decide whether or not to be pleased with my progress on this costume as a whole – on one hand, I got a lot done in a fairly short amount of time, but on the other hand, I literally had no reason to make this costume except for that I wanted to challenge myself. I could have been working on my Anime-Zap! costumes instead, because that’s coming up quite fast. Oh well – at least I learned my own limitations, if nothing else.